Saturday, August 23, 2008

To clip or not to clip?



When I think about playing catch-up on this blog, I get overwhelmed. I want to talk about Griffin's birth story but, I don't really have time to do all that right now. I think I'll just start with today and then journey back as I get the time. Griffin is doing great. He is 10 days old and getting cuter everyday. The hospital wanted us to take him to a pediatrician a couple days after he was born to get checked out. He was slightly jaundiced and had lost quite a bit of weight. When we took him in, they wanted him stripped down so that they could weigh him. As he was screaming, I noticed that his frenulum (the skin under his tongue) came up almost to the tip of his tongue. It was really thin and transparent. When I asked the doctor about it, he said that Griffin was tongue-tied. It all started making sense why I was in so much pain while nursing him. He was chewing instead of sucking because he couldn't stick his tongue out. The doctor said that we could clip it but I was nervous and said that I needed to talk with Ammon about it first. After doing some research, we decided to go ahead and get it clipped yesterday. Ammon was able to come to the appointment and I'm so glad! I didn't want to be in there when they did it. Noah and I went out to look at the fish tank and the process was super quick! Ammon said that Griffin only fussed because they were holding him down and that he didn't feel it. There was only one drop of blood and it looks really good. The doctor wanted me to nurse right away and I can definitely tell a difference. I am still super sore from this past week of nursing but, it's getting better now. I'm really glad we decided to clip it. Griffin has been sticking his tongue out and moving it all around. It's pretty cute.

8 friends stopped by:

Queen Karana said...

Wow. What an amazing difference such a simple little medical procedure can make, huh?

Glad he's doing well! He's awfully cute.

Unknown said...

Ohh that is the saddest thing I have ever heard.. he is sooo cute!

Emmy said...

HE IS GORGEOUS!!! Congratulations, sweetie!

dubby said...

My sister's kids had the tongue thing, though not as bad, and it interfered with speech later on. You definitely did the right thing.

Cortney said...

Morgan had her frenulum clipped. A good choice- I always tell parents to clip it if there is even a possible issue.

Heather said...

Good to hear you and Griffin are doing better. I bet it's nice to be in your new house with the new baby. Congrats again!!

Diane said...

I think it was so great how you noticed it, right there at the doctor's office...and I am so proud that you and Ammon researched it and made your decision and then got it done. Griffin has a terrific mom....just like Noah. Yay for Griffin sticking his tongue out! It was so great seeing him and holding him...what a sweet little guy. And I loved being with Noah...and hated it when he had to take a nap.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin