Sunday, August 24, 2008

Griffin's Hospital Story

My due date was August 16th and I was scheduled to be induced on the Thursday the 14th. I was supposed to be at the hospital at 6am to get things started. The night before, I went to WalMart and got home around 11pm. I made some phone calls, finished packing my bag and Ammon and I went to bed close to 1am to try and get a couple hours of sleep before we needed to leave for the hospital. We had it all planned out. Gigi (Ginger) was going to come to our house around 5:30 am and be there to take care of Noah. Right as I was drifting off - contraction! And not the uncomfortable ones that I had been experiencing for a few weeks now. Nope, these were really painful and I had to hold Ammon's hand through them. They were coming pretty quick but I was so tired and I knew that I was going to go to the hospital in a few hours anyway. I thought I would just sleep through them. Ha! yeah right... These were super painful. I had to hold Ammon's hand through every contraction. It somehow made them easier. I laid in bed until 2:30am contracting every few minutes. We then decided that we needed to go ahead and call Ginger and have her come on down so we could get to the hospital. It's a 30 minute drive for her to get here so I hopped in the shower. Ginger got here and Ammon gave me a blessing. Then we were off. We got to the hospital around 4am. Ammon parked at the wrong entrance - it was locked. So we walked halfway around the hospital to the emergency entrance. We had to stop every little bit so I could get through the next contraction. I was not happy... The dude at emergency told me that we had to go to this other part of the hospital to register. So Ammon and I start walking with numerous stops along the way. We sit to register and it of course takes forever. They're asking me all these questions and making me sign things while I'm in hard labor... Anyway, I finally get up to my room and I told them right away that I wanted an epidural. They said that they would need to page the anesthesiologist and that she would be there soon. When they checked me at 5am, I was at 7 cm! I was having contractions every 2-5 minutes and they were horrible. I kept asking about the epidural and was tired of being told that she was on her way. While I was laboring, the nurse wanted to do all this paperwork. I was annoyed. I just wanted to concentrate on labor and not have to answer questions and sign stuff. Finally around 7:30am, the lady came to do my epidural. Wow, this was much more painful than it was when I got the epidural with Noah. She missed it the first time and had to redo it. It finally took and they left me alone for awhile. I wasn't feeling contractions and Ammon and I both fell asleep. Ammon woke up at 8:45 to me yelling, "get the trashcan!" He got it to me in time and I threw up. Yuck... The nurses said this was a sign that I was probably "complete". Dr. McIlveen came in and checked me and confirmed that I was "complete" and they started to prepare the room for delivery. I started pushing at 8:52 and Griffin James Piatt was born at 9:10 am. He weighed in at 8 pounds 9 ounces and was 20 1/2 inches long.



I couldn't believe how much easier things were this time around. I didn't need any stitches and felt good afterwards. I couldn't believe that I was finally holding my baby boy and I was thrilled that he was ok.



Ammon called Ginger and asked her to bring Noah to the hospital to meet his new brother. It was so fun having our little family together for a few minutes. Noah didn't really care too much about the baby at first. He didn't dislike him but wanted to keep playing with his cars. In this picture, he pointed to Griffin's nose and then his nose.



Will and Ginger came by as well as Joni and her kids, Lathen and Kiera.





















After I showered, Ammon left to go home and nap with Noah. Then they went to gymnastics and came back to the hospital for a little while. Noah loves Griffin and gives him kisses a lot. He's very easy with him and likes to know where his baby is at all times.














4 friends stopped by:

Diane said...

Every time we have talked about it, I just can't believe you had to walk so much while in heavy labor. And then...more than two hours for the anesthesiologist? Ridiculous. But...you did an amazing job. Terrific. You called me 25 minutes after he was born..and sounded great.
I'm so glad this went fast for you..and you have felt so good after. I love you, my sweet girl. Bigtime.

Diane said...

I love these pictures, especially the one of you kissing Noah's forhead.

Unknown said...

Oh my jess bess I can hardly believe you have a full blown fam damily! Congrats darling he is beautiful. I am so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

Griffin is beautiful. I love the pictures of Noah being a big brother. What a blessing to have two healthy children...you have a beautiful family.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin