Friday, April 16, 2010

Measles


This poor guy had measles this week! Well, "vaccination measles".

Saturday he was around a horse, lambs, and the sun. He was very fussy on Saturday and his head was super hot. I assumed it was just sun exposure. He's super sensitive to the sun.

Anyway, on Sunday he was still hot but again, I dismissed it as a slight sunburn.

Monday morning, he woke up with a rash on his face, belly and chest. It wasn't awful and it didn't seem to bother him at all. I called my mom and she said it sounded like Fifths Disease. Ammon and I did some online research and that's what it seemed to be.

Tuesday the rash hadn't changed.

When Griffin woke up on Wednesday, the rash had spread across his entire body. Everywhere. Even his fingers and toes. It still wasn't bothering him but because it was getting worse, I decided to take him to the doctor. Plus, I have him on a much slower vaccination schedule. We don't let our kids have combination shots and only allow them to get 2 shots per visit. That made me nervous too. Like maybe he caught some horrible disease that he hadn't been vaccinated for. The doctor said it could possibly be Fifths Disease but that Roseola was a better fit. Once I brought up the fact that we had just been in the office a couple weeks ago for shots, it's like a lightbulb turned on. He said, "Did he get the measles shot?" I said, "I'm pretty sure." He got all excited and said that he has "vaccination measles". Apparently one out of twenty kids reacts to the shot about 12 days after it's given. Griffin is one of those kids. : ) The vaccination worked, he's immune to measles but, this is the downside to wanting to protect him from that awful disease. He's not contagious and I'm glad the rash didn't affect him much.

It's now Friday and if you look closely, you can see a very faded rash. It's MUCH better. Thank goodness. My baby... He's such a sweetheart and I hate to see him sick.

1 friends stopped by:

Emmy said...

poor baby! glad you got it figured out! and, glad he's immune! :) bummer of a way to get immunity to something, though.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin