Friday, March 27, 2009

Sleep Training Day One

I love to rock my babies to sleep.  When Noah was 7 months, he cut his first tooth and started biting me horribly while nursing.  I couldn't get him to stop so at 8 months, we switched him to formula.  About this same time, he started fighting me while I would rock him to sleep.  We decided it was time to sleep train him so he could soothe himself to sleep.  It was super easy to do.  I think only 2 or 3 nights and he had it down.  He also had a blanket and a plug that he loved.  I think that helped a lot.  Griffin is 7 1/2 months old and I have created a nighttime monster.  I (or Ammon) would rock him to sleep and then put him in his crib.  He would wake up 4 or 5 times per night and need me to nurse him to calm down.  I am tired and since I know he doesn't need the food in the middle of the night anymore, it's time to sleep train.  For both naps today I waited til he was drowsy and laid him in his crib with a specific blanket that I'm trying to get him attached to.  Both times he cried for 3 minutes before I went in to pat him on the back.  I stayed in there for 2 minutes but didn't pick him up.  When I left the room, the plan was to let him cry for 5 minutes before going in to soothe him again.  When 5 minutes were up, I went in and patted him on the back for 2 minutes and left again.  This time, I was up-ing the time to 10 minutes before I would go in to soothe him.  For both naps, he fell asleep during this time.  :)  Hopefully soon, he'll fall asleep during the first 3 minutes... I hate to hear my babies cry.  He is in his crib right now working on going to sleep for the night.  I've already gone in once to soothe him and I'm going in again right now to do it again.  K, back.  I think he fell asleep while I was patting him...  Oh well.  That's progress.  We'll see what kind of night he has.  Maybe he won't wake up til morning?!  (he just started crying again...  oh geez)

0 friends stopped by:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin